Priests of The Woolton Mission and Saint Mary’s Church

Part 1 The Benedictines

stbenedictThe Benedictines for many years provided chaplains to the Molyneux family.

In 1704 Woolton Hall was built for Richard the Vth Viscount Molyneux. Benedictine chaplains had already served the Molyneux family at Sefton Hall (which has long since been demolished)

1715 – 1717     R. Holme OSB
1717-  1731      L. Kirkby OSB

Woolton Mission Founded 1731

1731- 1732    William Laurence Champney OSB 
1732- 1755    Placid Hutton OSB
1755- 1766    Edward Bernard Catterall OSB

Saint Benet’s Priory, Watergate Lane

1766 – 1781      Edward Bernard Catterall OSB
1781- 1782        John Bede Brewer OSB founder of Ampleforth College in Yorkshire

  Assistants at the Priory sometime in the above years S. Hodgson  and  J Calderbank

1822 – 1824      J.J. Jenkins OSB
1824 – 1855      S.M. Philips OSB
1855 – 1861      R.P. Burchall OSB

The Titualar Abbot returned to reside at Woolton 1873-75

The current church’s foundation stone was laid 11th September 1859 and the church was opened on 28th October 1860. The Presbytery and school were erected in 1869.

The Church was known as Saint Benet’s until 1881 when it became known as Saint Mary’s.

1862 – 1873      J.P. O’Brien OSB
1873 – 1880      P. Whittle OSB
1880 – 1891      W.Bede Prest OSB
1891 – 1894      H.G. Murphies OSB
1895 – 1896      J.W. Richards OSB
1896 – 1897      C.J. Fitzgerald OSB
1897 – 1909      Ambrose.A. Pereria OSB
1909                  A.F. Fleming OSB
1909 – 1913      Vincent Corney OSB
1913 – 1919      H.M.Campbell OSB
1919 – 1928      J.M. Kelly OSB
1928                  E.D. Fennell OSB       

Assistant priests during the above years   

B.M.Sutter OSB,   A.J.McEvoy OSB,   T.L.Almond OSB,   Vincent Corney OSB,   H.W.McKay OSB,   P. O’Callaghan OSB,   J.R.Riley OSB ,   J.G. Dolan OSB,   C de Neubourg OSB,   J.R. Rylance OSB,  L.S.Cave OSB,   E.D.Fennell OSB,   R.V.Gilbertson OSB,   J.M.Kelly OSB,   F.A.Harrington OSB,   T.P. Worsley-Warwick OSB

In 1928 the Benedictines then departed after two centuries of service

Part 2 The Mill Hill Fathers

The Mill Hill Fathers had a very short tenure at St. Marys lasting  just three years

Mill Hill Fathers become Rectors

1928 – 1930    Fr. Herman Drontman

1930 – 1931    Fr. Martin Onsten

Assistant: Fr. William Ross

Part 3 Secular Priests

The first secular priest Fr. Charles Gelderd was appointed by Archbishop Richard Downey in 1931.

Part 3 Secular Priests

The first secular priest Fr. Charles Gelderd was appinted by Archbishop Richard Downey in 1931. 

Parish Priests

Assistant Priests (Residents) and Permanent Deacons

1931 – 1947

V.Rev. Dr. Charles Gelderd

1932 – 35

Fr Brendan Chapman

1935 – 40

Fr Francis Clayton

1939   

Fr John P. Mahony

1940 – 43           

Fr Edward Crowley

Fr Patrick Neligan

1943 – 48

Fr Stanley Baker

1943   

Fr Finian O’Connor

1945   

Fr Cyril Pilson

1947 – 1980

V. Rev. Cannon Edward Murphy

1946 – 52

Frs George Hickson & Francis Ripley

1950 – 58

Fr Patrick Higgins

1952   

Fr Vincent Gaskell

1957 – 59

Fr Patrick Rose

1958 – 61

Fr Michael Gaine

1960 – 66

Fr James Collins

1961 – 63

Fr Peter Doyle

1962 – 64

Fr Gerald Willacy

1963 – 65

Fr Louis Hanlon

1964 – 69

Fr Joseph Howard

1966 – 70

Fr Bernard Bimson

1969 – 71

Fr Cyril Thomas

1970 – 73

Fr Kevin Ashton

1971 – 73

Fr Francis Goulbourne

1974 – 75

Fr Bernard Bimson

1974 – 79

Fr Christopher Crowley

1977 – 84

Fr James Lahiff

1979 – 85

Fr Brian Crane

1980 – 1989

V. Rev. Mgr. John P. Mahony

1985 – 88

Fr Robert Starkey

1988 –1996

Fr Thomas Wood

1989 – 1999

V. Rev. Mgr. Peter W. Ryan

1997 - 2011

Deacon Adrian Dickinson

1999 -  2011

Rev. Fr. Patrick O’Brien

 

Part 4 The Redemptorists

stalphonsusAs Fr. Pat O’Brien’s retirement approached, the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer better known as the Redemptorists were asked by Archbishop Patrick Kelly to take over the Pastoral Care of St. Mary’s. This would be in addition to their parish of Our Lady of the Annunciation of Bishop Eton. The Parishes would not be merged but would continue to exist in their own right.

 Fr. Tim Buckley C.Ss.R was appointed as Parish Priest with Fr. Barrie O’Toole C.Ss.R as his assistant. Other priests resident at Bishop Eton Monastery although not formally assigned to the parish would be available to say Mass etc.

 

Parish Priest

Assistant Priest

Permanent Deacon

2011

Fr. Timothy J. Buckley C.Ss.R 

Fr. Barrie O’Toole CSsR

Deacon Adrian Dickinson

2012

Deacon Bernard Rigby

2013

2014