A Short History of Saint Mary’s Woolton
A Catholic Community has been present for nearly 300 years. It has been a vary varied and interesting History. Notable dates include:
|1715||Benedictine Chaplains to the Molyneux family at Woolton Hall.|
The ‘Woolton Mission’ was founded at St. Benet’s Priory in Watergate Lane.
Our Parish school – Much Woolton Catholic Primary now stands on this site.
|1859||The Foundation Stone of the present Church was laid and dedicated to the patronage of Saint Benet.|
|1860||The Church was opened on 28th October|
|1861||The Church was renamed Saint Mary’s|
|1869||The School building (now the Parish Centre) and the Presbytery were built.|
|1873||The Cloisters were built, to join the Church and Presbytery.|
The Benedictines departed St Mary’s
The Mill Hill Fathers became rectors.
|1931||V. Rev. Dr. Charles Gelderd becomes the first secular Parish Priest of Saint Mary’s.|
|1947||V. Rev Cannon Edward Murphy is appointed Parish Priest and remains for the next 33 years.|
|1950||Bishop Halsall celebrated the Mass of consecration in the Church on September 8th.|
|1980||V. Rev. Mgr. John P. Mahony is appointed as Parish Priest|
|1981/2||During the early 1980’s The Church interior was extensively redecorated and the font was moved to its current position at the front of the church.|
|1982||Saint Benet’s Priory in Watergate Lane is demolished.|
|1984||Saint Benet’s Cemetery is closed to make way for the housing development ‘Priory Way’. Remains, tombstones, monuments and other memorials were transferred to the graveyard at Saint Mary’s.|
|1987||An ecumenical covenant is signed with the other churches in Woolton: St James’, St Peter’s and the United Reformed Church pledging a cooperative witness of Christ’s people.|
|1989||V. Rev. Mgr. Peter W. Ryan appointed as Parish Priest.|
|1999||Rev. Fr. Patrick O’Brien appointed as Parish Priest.|
Following Fr. Pat’s retirement Rev. Fr. Timothy J Buckley C.Ss.R. appointed Parish Priest.